Dealing with Insurance Companies

If you do not know your insurance agent's phone number or need to find a contact number, then you may find the information you need here at the State's website:

or by calling the:

CONSUMER HELPLINE: 1-800-342-2762

Insurance Contacts

Notify your insurance agent as soon as possible. If you are unable to reach your agent or insurance company, most policies require you to have your home secured against vandalism and looting, and allow advanced funds for your family to find lodging. Keep all receipts, in order to be reimbursed by your insurance company. If possible, do not disturb or remove any items before the insurance adjuster arrives.

Some insurance policies provide for additional living expenses until you are able to move back home. You must keep receipts for all expenditures.

If you are a tenant, contact the resident manager, the owner or the owner's insurance agent. It is the owner's responsibility to prevent further loss to the site. See that your personal belongings are secure either within the building or by moving them to another location, such as the home of a relative or friend. Contact your own insurance agent to report the loss. The property owner's insurance, in most cases, will not cover the loss of your personal belongings.

Insurance and Other Assistance

* Contact your insurance company as soon as possible.
* If you are renting, contact the property owner or the owner's insurance company.
* If you are not insured, contact your lawyer or the IRS for directions.
* Contact the American Red Cross for disaster relief services.

If Your Property is not Covered by Insurance

Emergency assistance, including temporary shelter, food, clothing, eye glasses, and medicine is available through the American Red Cross and Salvation Army.

Important Papers/Pictures Dealing With Insurances Salvaging Belongings Food and Perishables Money With Damage